Monday, December 21, 2009

'Tis The Season...

With a mere four days until Christmas Day, I'm finding myself in slightly unfamiliar territory.  As a person who grew up in a Christian household, I've always been taught and known on some level what the "real" reason of the season is.  My mom and dad thought it very important to instill that into both myself and my two sisters.  But as an adult, and as a mom myself, I have struggled with the pressure of the "commercialized' Christmas.  While I have always enjoyed this time of year and it's always been my favorite holiday, I haven't been able to really take time and reflect on not only God's gift of the Son - which I think most of us Christians (especially Christians that are a little more mature in Christ) consider a necessity at this time of year, but also reflect on God's gift of providing a time of year in which the fruits of the spirit are front and center. 

This year, while I still partake in some of the more commercialized aspects of Christmas (the tree, the shopping, the norms), I find myself wondering how it is that I just feel more peaceful, more loving, just generally more "Christ-like."  The fruit of patience was evident yesterday as I had nine little girls at my house to make cookie dough and magic reindeer food for Christmas Eve.  As a matter of fact, gentleness and self-control were in greater than normal supply as well.  Goodness and kindness seem to be much easier for me to demonstrate through the hustle and bustle that this time of year brings.  As the moms started rolling in yesterday to pick up their baby girls, and my mom and sisters were hanging with some of my church sisters and we were all making a mess of my kitchen and dining room with cookie dough, I was overwhelmed by the love that I felt.  There were several moments that I had to quietly(as not to ruin the good, light-hearted fellowship with mushiness) thank God for so many of the non-tangible blessings such as a loving family and great friends that he's put in my life.  And now, as I sit in my bed and find everything enjoyable, from television to noisy kids, despite the tons of things that I need to get done to be ready for Christmas morning, the feeling of peace that only he can give puts a simple smile on my face. 

So, as I move forward in this week of celebration of the birth of my King and Savior, I wanted to take a moment and reflect on the bliss that is His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment